Thursday, September 2, 2010

Thanks, Mike

Mike Pryson of the Jackson Citizen Patriot was kind enough to plug this blog today.

Read his blog entry here.

I started this blog in 2008 after attending a journalism conference where the instructor urged the attendees to blog. It didn't matter about what, she said, just blog.

So, for one reason or another, I chose this. In truth, it's become as much of an archive as a blog. And it's not loaded with opinion as many blogs are. But I hope some folks find it interesting and useful.

As I've written before, I played varsity football for Northwest in 1988 and 1989. However, I can hardly stake claim to being the school's No. 1 fan.

Truth is, I haven't attended a Northwest football game since I walked off the field as a player after an overtime loss to Williamston in the last game of my senior year (details such as these are not easily forgotten).

As a player, the team and the game meant a tremendous amount to me. And even though we weren't highly successful (5-4 both years) the effort that I and my teammates put into the game -- and the things that I learned in practice and on the playing field -- still mean something to me.

We seem to put so much emphasis on winning and losing in our culture.

But I think there's meaning and some measure of honor for those who suit up and give their all -- win or lose.

And that goes for the Mounties who played the game tonight.

No comments: