Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Lean hungry wolves


I'm sure others recall more memorable sayings from Coach Kaiser, but one that sticks in my head came during the week of practice before we played Tecumseh my junior year in 1988.

"Big, fat bears are no match for lean, hungry wolves," Kaiser, a hunter, growled repeatedly. By Friday, we were mumbling it in our sleep.

Coach Kaiser was apparently concerned that we might be intimidated by our opponent's size advantage. They were bigger than us but coach successfully got into our heads and I don't recall any of us being too intimidated. The best part, of course, is that we won the game, 26-12.

This week, the Mounties play Tecumseh as they look to start the season 3-0. I have no idea how big Tecumseh is, but I'll take the lean, hungry wolves any day.

3 comments:

Jon Oliver said...

Elbows and a#!hole's boy's that's all i want to see. D. Kaiser said this as he walked by a JV practice for the O-line ...I think thats the day Tracy Lackey hit me so hard that my helmet cracked.

Myers said...

Hope it is ok that a non-player posts here.
I don't remember the game as much as you & Jon do, but I do remember seeing Tracy Lackey hit some guys pretty hard to where I lost my voice sceaming - STICK EM'.

Joe Strong said...

Northwest has had tough years in football.Great to see them doing well. I can remember when coach Kaiser came to our freshman practic he got into my a## Hell of a coach